Saturday, December 4, 2010

That One Curious Guy

Doing a blog post on a Saturday night = wEiRd...

So, earlier this week, I had a discussion with Amber Gomez, Vincent Liu, Ianna Wilson, and Elijah Mekwunye, about The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon. We had many questions about the structure of the book, the main character (Christopher), his disability, his mother, father, and how the context relates to the world. We had many disagreements and clarifying questions. For example, I believe Amber asked this question: " Is only the first page of the book Christopher's story? Or is the hold entire book his story?" Many people said that he writes parts of his book part-by-part, but the entire book is the journey he is growing through while writing his story. 

Another interesting question that was brought up during our discussion was asked by Elijah: "Why does Christopher have 'Good Days', 'Bad Days', 'Super Good Days', and 'Black Days'? Is this similar to other people with this condition? I really like this question, but I was not able to answer because other people were talking over me or I was just too scared. Well, if I did answer this question, then I would say that in the beginning of the book he says that he thinks logically, so, he needs a legitimate reason why he has these days rather than just out-of-the-blue. Also, this relates to real people with this disability- they need a clear explanation why things happen.

What I learned about my group mates if that their are a few people who will talk a lot and their are a few that do want to talk, but does not want to interrupt the other person (me). I need to learn to say what I want, when I want. Although other people might interrupt me, I need to fight to get my voice heard (make my voice louder or just tell the person to go after me). What we talked about showed me that we are all different, not only culturally, but also socially. This demonstrates that whatever people are, we should respect them by any means.

No comments:

Post a Comment