Thursday, November 4, 2010

I Don't Want to Read it.

When learning about my family history, there are a collective amount of harsh experiences. They worked really hard coming to America and raising a family. My parents always say: " We brought you here, so you better do good in school and have a good job,” They want me to have an easier life. I love them.

I always ask my parents what happened during the time when Ethiopia and Eritrea had war with each other. They never have time to explain, so I let go. All of a sudden, my uncle, Salah Johar, wrote a book about his childhood during this war. The whole Eritrean Community was very proud of him. He has been a great model for all of us. The book is called, Of Kings And Bandits. The main idea in this book is that he was an ordinary child and all of sudden everything changes. He connects it to his culture, religion, and family. Considering I did not finish the book, I do not know a lot about it. The book is sooo long! It's very descriptive and tiring. My dad keeps telling me to read it, but I don't want too. I believe the reason why he is forcing me is because he wants me to understand how hard it was coming her and to appreciate their hard work. I absolutely do honor their hard work, but the reading it not needed. In a few weeks, we are going to have a convention for my Uncle. Many of my Auntie’s, Uncle's, and other older relatives are so proud of him. They cry because if his dedication in his culture and religion. He is spreading the word for all the people impacted in this war, and that really means a lot to them. On the other hand, the youth does not care. Even though we are proud, we just don't want to read it. Sooner or later, we will...

Overall, I am blessed and overjoyed that one of my family members wrote a novel. So, to honor his hard work and devotion I will finish this book and clearly understand the commitment my family did worked hard for. Considering that I have piles of homework, it will take time to finish the book. I am not promising a certain date, but someday...



No comments:

Post a Comment