Friday, March 18, 2011

Story-telling isn't Their thing?


The past is an essential ingredient to the present. Without history, people would not be able to track their own family history or perceive the challenges and distinctive occurrences that their own family exhibited.  But stories are unacknowledged in my household. Every time my siblings or I ask about my parent’s life experiences or significant affairs, their reply is: “Go away,” “Nothing,” or, “Clean-up.” They completely disregard the fact that we asked a question.

This  relates to The Joy Luck Club, by Amy Tan, because the daughters ( Jing-mei Woo, Rose Hsu Jordan, Waverly Jong, and Lena St. Clair) do not know how much their mothers went through- it is intense (especially Rose Hsu Jordan’s mother- Magpies). The mothers (Suyuan Woo, An-mei Hsu, Lindo Jong, and Ying-ying St.Clair) have been through so much that the children will never know their life-changing experience because one, they never ask, and two, they do not necessarily care about their parents history.

Many of the daughters in the novel have some relation to my experiences, but the one who portrays myself most closely is Waverly Jong. This is because in “Rules of Game,” her mom, Lindo Jong, forces her to play chess exceptionally- which means not to lose any competitions- to be perfect. In addition, she has to practice for ridiculous hours:
“I no longer played in the alley of Waverly Place. I never visited the playground where the pigeons and old men gathered. I went directly to school, the directly home to learn new chess secrets, cleverly concealed advantages, more escape routes… my mother had an habit of standing over me while I potted out my games. I think she thought I was her protective ally, (pg. 98).
Waverly Jong’s life changes soon after her mom sees that she actually has a talent. Although Waverly sacrifices playing in the alley of Waverly Place and visiting the pigeons and the old men, her mother neglects her blissfulness to concentrate on the imperative: chess. Lindo Jong’s central motivation to why she enforces her daughter to simultaneously apply practice and success in her life is to obtain glory and satisfaction. She uses these components to notify her friends how successful her daughter is and how Waverly Jong has fostered loads of  talent in comparison to her friends children- this makes the other mothers implement more study and rigorous labor on top on their children- its like a competition. Their children’s contentment is ignored by their mothers.

My life experiences relate to Waverly Jong’s occurrences since I turned thirteen. Since then, I saw why certain people had to do selective things based on their appearances. I had to begin praying five-times-a-day, fast, and wear particular kinds of clothing at specific area- I viewed the world with different identities and manners. Furthermore, my parents required me to memorize and read the Holy Quran fluently-regardless of my inadequate skills. They obligate of conditions that I am not able to follow. My parents do not understand the work load I encounter at school and other extra curricula’s. Gratitude and open-mindedness does not exist for my parents. I have to secretly fulfill my goals and desires-it is a tough price to pay. However, I am still attempting to realize my own ambitions and my parent’s requirements without risking one for the other- but I recognize which one I take seriously. Accordingly, my parents depreciate the lack of practices I complete and enforce my so-called chores (memorization of the Quran), in different ways so that it is the only thing I can do.

Additionally, the above quote also relates to when my extended family members visit and their Arabic skills are exceptionally better then mine; my parents began to feel jealous, and when they leave, they begin criticizing me, assuming that it makes the situation better; however, the result is that  I do not work as diligently. Likewise, the confidence my parents have about me, contagiously feed into me, - is low. My parents do not cooperate in with me to resolve my challenges, and because of this, I try to strengthen my own, individual strength to perform, well.  For that reason, my capabilities are worthy and virtuous- I just need my parent’s mutual aid.

Similarly, the novel connects to my situation because my parents try to exert too much influence to keep their children from becoming too Americanized. They brought us to America and they still want to maintain the traditional aspects of their live back home (Eritrea) - this will never happen. We live in America, and in America, there is an array of people, places, and thought- it is not like other countries, where there is dominance in culture and religion. Therefore, we do not have choice but to adsorb the diversity and wellbeing of the nation.

In the third section: “Four Directions”- Waverly Jong converses about her admirable skill, chess. She won all her competitions and has loads of shinny gold trophies. But, in this chapter, she realizes how much her mom actually cares about her (Waverly’s) individual achievements:
“And for my mother loved to show me off, like one of many trophies she polished. She used to discuss my games as if she had devised the strategies,” (170).
This continues the idea that Waverly’s mom did not adore her daughter as an individual, but of what she gave out to the world- her skills. The mother-daughter relationship shown here is neither intimate nor delicate. The only element that actually drives their relationship is chess.

Likewise, my relationship with my parents is justly similar. The Quran, prayers, and other Islamic requirements is what practically pull us together. If these elements were valid, I honestly do not know we would have a relationship- its kind-of depressing; I know.

I have realized that connecting with Family history is also an essential quality and esteem to acquire because of the how sealed a household family can renovate into. For instance, many of my identifiable acquaintances inform their parents about their everyday existence- boys, school, faults, to broken-hearts- this demonstrates the kinship between the parents and the children. They are amid a great amount of comfort and wellbeing that they have they the strength to orally communicate their thoughts without a borderline.

Not having the capability to empathize and value my parent’s history is sad. To obtain family history is remarkable, and the aftermath always goes on- which is humbling.

When my parents reveal their history to us, I will cherish the stories and forever adore their adventures (mishaps and fortune). By doing so, the connections between my parents, siblings, and I will improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment